Sunday, December 30, 2007

Four if by sea ... or snow

With Jon having a few days off, we figured we were up for some adventure.
First, we thought we'd head to the snow ... Ian had so much fun (I guess he'd forgotten life with snow in Philly, LOL) Jon thrilled him by filling a cup full of fresh snow for the drive home. He sat in the back eating it like popcorn. it was a riot. HA!

Next, a drive to the coast for some whale watching. 12/26 - around 1/8 is great for watching the whales on their southern migration. We got to the Umpqua lighthouse and they'd already seen 8 - we saw a couple. We think, LOL We should have dug out the binoculars to be sure, but it was fun. From Reedsport, we drove north of Florence to Sea Lion caves - Apparently the largest sea cave. I believe it. It's enormous - you almost forget you in a cave - minus the smell - ha..ha... There were hundreds, possibly thousands of them. (which was funny, because that night I picked up the babysitter and when talking about the journey she said everytime they've gone, there have been no sea lions in the cave. seems impossible to me.) We headed home with two sleepy boys.

Here are some pics of the snow (up towards Diamond Lake off rt 138, about an hour away)





Pictures from the coast (Reedsport area/Umpqua Lighthouse & Sea Lion Caves near Florence)










6 comments:

Lynnette said...

Wow, these pictures are georgeous! You are lucky to live near such pretty places!

nathalia said...

Happy New Year! What great travelers you are. It looks like you moved to a really beautiful place - way to get out there and see it all!

Krystin Coburn said...

Gorgeous pictures! You guys are so adventurous and lucky to see all the sea lions and whales! You must be enjoying it. I miss the snow. I hope for snow here in Allentown!!!

Holly Sanders said...

I think we may just move there! It's too incredibly beautiful not to. Does it really rain a lot there? I know I've asked you that a million times!

Teri said...

I agree...very beautiful pictures! I hope you guys had a great Christmas! and Happy New Year! We're headed to WA. so we'll be kind of close...I think :)

Shelley & Scott said...

another fun adventure for the russell family! you never forget the smell of those sea lions do you? hey, you might want to check my blog if it's been awhile. there's some surprising news on there. ;o)